Quick Answer: Is Shea Moisture Cruelty-Free and Vegan?
Yes, Shea Moisture is cruelty-free, meaning that they do not test their products on animals. It is certified by PETA. Some of their products are 100 percent vegan, while others are not. The company does not sell its products in the People’s Republic of China because the law requires animal testing for cosmetic products.
Shea Moisture was founded in 1991 and focuses on making shampoos, conditioners, cosmetic products, and body wash.
It has its headquarters in Amityville, New York. Shea Moisture is owned by Unilever; a company that is not cruelty-free because they sell their products in China.
A lot of our readers have been asking if Shea Moisture is cruelty-free and vegan. We have dived deep into the topic and analyzed their products in detail.
So is Shea Moisture cruelty-free and vegan? Keep reading to find out the details.
- Quick Answer: Is Shea Moisture Cruelty-Free and Vegan?
- Is Shea Moisture Cruelty-free?
- Are Shea Moisture products tested on animals?
- Do they test on animals when they are required by law? Or use a third party?
- Are Shea Moisture sold in China?
- Does Shea Moisture have Cruelty-free Certifications?
- Does Shea Moisture have a parent Company?
- Is Shea Moisture Vegan?
Is Shea Moisture Cruelty-free?
Yes, Shea Moisture is cruelty-free. For a product to be cruelty-free, it needs to satisfy the following criteria, which we will look at keenly.
- None of the products should be tested on animals
- They should not test on animals even if the law requires them to
- The product should not be sold in China
Are Shea Moisture products tested on animals?
Shea Moistures does not test on animals.
The brand does not test ingredients or finished products on animals. Shea Moisture has strived to keep their products natural and safe, and free from sulfates and parabens.
The following is a statement from their website:
Do they test on animals when they are required by law? Or use a third party?
No, Shea Moisture does not test on animals even if it is a law requirement.
In the United States, where their manufacturing facilities are located, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission does not require products to be tested on animals.
There is already enough information that animal testing is deemed unnecessary.
In countries where it is a must for animals to be tested, Shea Moisture does not sell its products.
Are Shea Moisture sold in China?
No Shea Moisture products are not sold in China. This is because China has stringent laws regarding animal testing. All cosmetic products must be tested on animals to ensure that they are safe for human use.
Companies that sell their products in China are not considered cruelty-free because of this.
Does Shea Moisture have Cruelty-free Certifications?
Shea Moisture is certified by PETA. They are a part of a cruelty-free program, “Beauty Without Bunnies”, that promotes the use of cruelty-free products.
Companies certified by PETA get into an agreement that they will not commission or conduct any animal tests on the ingredients and finished products and never to do it in the future.
Does Shea Moisture have a parent Company?
Yes, Shea Moisture is owned by Unilever. Unilever is their parent company, which is not cruelty-free but not because they engage in animal testing.
They are not cruelty-free because they sell their products in China. If a company sells its products in China, it means they allow their products to be tested on animals hence not cruelty-free.
Shea Moisture testing policy does not allow for testing on animals.
Is Shea Moisture Vegan?
A product is referred to as vegan when the ingredients used in making it are not derived from animals.
No, Shea Moisture is not 100 percent vegan. Some of their products are vegan, while others may contain ingredients that are derived from animal products.
The following are some of the vegan products that are made by Shea Moisture:
- Sugarcane Extract and Meadow Foam Seed conditioner
- Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine conditioner
- Coconut and Cactus Water Head in the
- 100% Virgin Oil Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Conditioner
- Purple Rice Water Strength and Color Care Conditioner
- Coconut and Custard Make It Last Wash N’ Go Conditioner
- Moringa and Avocado Power Greens Conditioner
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore and Leave Conditioner
- African Black Soap Bamboo Charcoal Deep Balancing
- Green Coconut and Activated Charcoal
- Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Conditioner
- Yucca and Plantain Anti-Breakage Strengthening Conditioner
- Coconut and Cactus Water Head in the Clouds Shampoo
- Mango and Carrot Kids Extra-Nourishing Shampoo
- Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo
- 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Rhassoul Clay Shampoo Bar
- Marshmallow Root and Blueberries Kids 2-in 1 Shampoo
- African Black Soap Bamboo Charcoal Pre Shampoo
- Raw Shea and Cupuacu Shampoo 379ML
- Back to School “Balancing Trio” Bundle
- Cannabis Sativa(Hemp) Seed Oil Lush Length
- Oat Milk and Rice Water Baby Extra Comforting Wash and Shampoo
- 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Baby Wash
Shea Moisture provides quality cruelty-free and partially vegan products. They are a budget brand that produces hair care, bodycare for men, skincare, and makeup.
The company believes in living a healthy lifestyle, and its products support this aim, given some of them are vegan.
Shea is certified by PETA, and its products can be found in Europe, Canada, Europe, the USA, and Australia.