Is St. Ives Cruelty-Free and Vegan?
Yes, St. Ives is cruelty-free because they do not test their products on animals. Their products are also not available in the People’s Republic of China, where animal testing is compulsory. The company is certified by PETA, but it is not 100% vegan, as some of their products contain animal-derived ingredients or by-products. The company is owned by Unilever.
St. Ives Laboratory Inc. is a cosmetics company that develops and manufactures personal care products. The company also markets its products, which include suntan lotions, cosmetics, and shampoos.
It was founded in 1987 and is headquartered at 8944 Mason Avenue Chatsworth, CA 91311, United States.
A large number of our readers have been recently asking if the products from St. Ives are cruelty-free and vegan.
We dug deeper into the topic and researched the brand’s products. Is St. Ives cruelty-free? Keep reading to find out.
- Is St. Ives Cruelty-Free and Vegan?
- Is St. Ives Cruelty-Free?
- Does St. Ives Test Their Products On Animals?
- Does St. Ives Test Their Products On Animals Even When the Law Requires Them To?
- Are St. Ives Products Available In China?
- Does St. Ives Have Any Cruelty-Free Certifications?
- Does St. Ives’ Parent Company Test On Animals?
- Is St. Ives Vegan?
Is St. Ives Cruelty-Free?
Yes, St. Ives is cruelty-free. For a brand to be considered cruelty-free, there are certain requirements it has to meet first.
We have listed the mentioned requirements below, which we will analyze one by one to prove the cruelty-free status of St. Ives.
- The brand’s product should not be tested on animals.
- Their products should not be tested on animals even when the law requires them to.
- The brand’s products should not be sold in stores in the People’s Republic of China.
Does St. Ives Test Their Products On Animals?
No, they do not test their products on animals. The company is certified by PETA.
The company has the cute bunny logo on their products to show that they are indeed cruelty-free. Their parent company Unilever is also in support of this. The following statement is from their website:
Does St. Ives Test Their Products On Animals Even When the Law Requires Them To?
No, St. Ives does not test their products on animals under any circumstances. They do not allow third parties or their suppliers to test on animals on their behalf, either.
If a country’s law or a regulatory body requires them to test their products on animals before they can sell in that country, St. Ives will simply not sell in that country.
Are St. Ives Products Available In China?
No, St. Ives products are not sold in China. The reason is that the People’s Republic of China has strict compulsory animal-testing laws.
All foreign cosmetic products must be tested on animals by the Chinese authorities to make sure they are safe for humans.
This is done even though there are alternative methods of testing for the safety of the cosmetics other than hurting innocent animals.
This is why cosmetic companies that sell their products in the People’s Republic of China are not cruelty-free.
Does St. Ives Have Any Cruelty-Free Certifications?
Yes, St. Ives is certified by PETA. When a company gets into an agreement with PETA, they pledge not to conduct or pay for animal testing on their finished products, formulations, or ingredients.
They also promise not to do so at any point in the future.
St. Ives is recognized by PETA as a cruelty-free company.
Does St. Ives’ Parent Company Test On Animals?
Yes. Unfortunately, St. Ives’ parent company, Unilever, is not cruelty-free.
The company does not test its products on animals themselves, but they pay for and allow other countries like China to do so just so that they can sell products in the country.
However, Unilever supports the banning of animal testing.
Some of Unilever’s brands are tested on animals.
Is St. Ives Vegan?
For a product to be considered vegan, all the ingredients and formulations used to make it have to be free from any animal-derived ingredients, including beeswax or honey.
Vegan-friendly products are also cruelty-free products, as sourcing ingredients from animals is a form of animal cruelty.
St. Ives is not 100% vegan because some of its products contain animal-derived ingredients. However, they offer some vegan options. The following are some of their vegan products.
- Radiant Skin Pink Lemon & Mandarin Orange Face Scrub
- Acne Control Apricot Scrub
- Gentle Smoothing Oatmeal Scrub and Mask
- Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub
- Blackhead Clearing Green Tea Scrub
- Gentle Smoothing Rose Water and Aloe Vera Scrub
- Acne Control Tea Tree Daily Cleanser
- Calming Chamomile Daily Cleanser
- Matcha Green Tea & Ginger Facial Cleansing Stick
- Cactus Water & Hibiscus Cleansing Stick
- Rose Water & Bamboo Facial Cleansing Stick
- Hydrating Watermelon Daily Cleanser
- Zing! Face Mist Energizing Orange
- Yaaas Face Mist Happy Grapefruit
- Ohmmm… Face Mist Relaxing Lavender
- Juicy Watermelon Lip Scrub
- Fresh Peach Lip Scrub
- Sweet Passionfruit Lip Scrub
- Soothing Oatmeal Hydrogel Eye Mask
- Soothing Oatmeal Sheet Mask
- Glowing Apricot Sheet Mask
- Hydrating Cactus Water & Hibiscus Sheet Mask
- Watermelon Glowing Oil-Free Daily Face Moisturizer
- Avocado Hydrating Daily Face Moisturizer
- Renewing Collagen Elastin Moisturizer
St. Ives is a cruelty-free cosmetics company that is owned by Unilever. The company is against testing their products on animals, so they do not sell in China, where the law requires all foreign cosmetics to be animal tested.
St. Ives is not 100% vegan, as some of their products contain animal-derived ingredients. They are also certified by PETA.