Quick Answer: Is TRESemme Cruelty-Free and Vegan?
No, TRESemme is not a cruelty-free brand nor 100% Vegan. This means that some of its products are tested on animals. It is not PETA or Leaping Bunny-certified, and it doesn’t have any certifications to indicate that it is cruelty-free. It is also not vegan, as some of the products contain animal derivatives and by-products.
TRESemme is a fairly-priced brand that is based in the United States of America. It is a fairly popular brand that was founded in Missouri in 1947.
This brand specializes in hair care products, and many love the high quality of its products.
When this brand first started out, it targeted salons and not individuals. The brand is owned by Unilever, which does some animal testing.
A lot of our readers have asked us if TRESemme is cruelty-free and vegan. We have analyzed the brand, as well as all of its products, to determine whether or not it is cruelty-free and vegan. Keep reading to find out the details.
- Quick Answer: Is TRESemme Cruelty-Free and Vegan?
- Is TRESemme Cruelty-Free?
- Are TRESemme Products Tested On Animals?
- Do They Test On Animals When Required By Law? Or Use a Third Party?
- Are TRESemme Products Sold In China?
- Does TRESemme Have Cruelty-Free Accreditations?
- Is TRESemme’s Parent Company Cruelty-Free?
- Is TRESemme Vegan?
Is TRESemme Cruelty-Free?
No, TRESemme is not cruelty-free. For a product to be listed as being cruelty-free, there are some important criteria that it must satisfy several criteria. These include:
- None of the products should be tested on animals. To be cruelty-free, the brand must not engage in any form of animal testing. This includes not hiring third-party companies to carry out animal testing for them.
- They should not test on animals even when required by law. Some countries have mandated the testing of products on animals. A cruelty-free brand will not engage in this testing even if the law demands it.
- The products should not be sold in China. If the company sells or retails its products in China, then it has to carry out animal testing. Any company that sells or retails in China is not animal cruelty-free.
Are TRESemme Products Tested On Animals?
Yes, TRESemme products are tested on animals. This also includes the hiring of third-party companies in different countries to carry out testing for them.
While the brand claims to be looking into ways of reducing or eliminating animal testing, the practice still continues.
The screenshot below shows the company’s stand on animal testing.https://www.tresemme.com/uk/faq.html
Although the products from the company are of high quality, they still carry out animal testing of these products.
Do They Test On Animals When Required By Law? Or Use a Third Party?
TRESemme tests its products on animals when required by law. While they claim to be opposed to testing, they test when the law requires them to.
Additionally, this involves hiring other companies or using their testing labs to test products on the animals.
Since TRESemme carries out this testing when required by law, the brand is not cruelty-free.
Are TRESemme Products Sold In China?
Yes, the company sells products in China. The brand is not cruelty-free because it agrees to and also pays for animal testing.
The tests are part of the mandatory requirements for their items to be sold in physical stores in mainland China.
The country still insists on all cosmetic brands sold in physical stores in the nation to pay and participate in post-production animal testing.
TRESemme, just like many other cosmetic brands, has made the decision to expand into the Chinese market.
The brand has been submitting and paying for their products to be tested on animals so as to be allowed to market and sell in mainland China.
China makes pre-market animal testing of imported cosmetics compulsory. Also, at any stage, animal testing can be performed on products that receive customer complaints.
Does TRESemme Have Cruelty-Free Accreditations?
No, it does not have any such certifications.
Is TRESemme’s Parent Company Cruelty-Free?
TRESemme is owned by Unilever, which is not a cruelty-free brand.
This company owns plenty of brands, some of which are cruelty-free, but some still test on animals. Since some of these brands test on animals, Unilever is not cruelty-free.
Additionally, the company sells its products in China, which is a country that certainly carries out animal testing across all stages of production.
Is TRESemme Vegan?
To qualify as a vegan company, TRESemme products must not contain any animal parts or anything that is derived from animals.
We have assessed the brand based on these criteria and have discovered that it is not a vegan brand. Most of the products contain animal derivatives. https://www.tresemme.com/uk/faq.html
Some of the vegan products that it offers are:
- TRESemme Freeze Hold hairspray
- TRESemme Extra Firm Hold Hairspray
- TRESemme Firm Hold Hairspray
- TRESemme Ultimate Hold Hairspray
From our findings, TRESemme is not a vegan or cruelty-free brand. While the company claims to be working on a solution to become cruelty-free, it still sells in China and tests on animals.